SUMOylation of SERCA2a
SUMOylation is essential for preserving the stability and activity of SERCA2a
Calcium-transporting ATPase ATP2A2, also known as SERCA2a, is a critical ATPase responsible for Ca2+ re-uptake during excitation–contraction (E-C) coupling. Impaired Ca2+ uptake resulting from decreased expression and reduced activity of SERCA2a is a hallmark of heart failure
Roger Hajjar and co-workers have demonstrated that SUMOylation is essential for preserving the stability and activity of SERCA2a and that levels of SUMO1 are decreased in failing hearts. They also show in a mouse model of heart failure that gene delivery of SUMO1 can restore heart function to the same degree as delivery of SERCA2a, pointing to SUMO1 as a potential therapeutic candidate for treating heart failure. Read the paper here.
Key findings to date:
- SERCA2a is SUMOylated at lysines 480 and 585
- SUMOylation is essential for preserving SERCA2a ATPase activity and stability in mouse and human cells
- Levels of SUMO1 and the SUMOylation of SERCA2a are greatly reduced in failing hearts
- SUMO1 overexpression in isolated cardiomyocytes augments contractility and accelerates Ca2+ decay
- SUMOylation is a critical post-translational modification that regulates SERCA2a function
- Findings may provide a platform for the design of novel therapeutic strategies for heart failure.
Which tools do I need? Badrilla is pleased to offer new panel of reagents to facilitate the study of SERCA and SUMOylation in your experimental workflow.
Product code: A010-21AP
Affinity purified Mouse monoclonal antibody to SERCA isoforms 1/2
- Suitable for use in Western blot (1:2000 dilution), IHC Microscopy (1:50 dilution).
- Lyophilised Protein A affinity purified mouse monoclonal IgG
- Tested on rat tissue, but immunogenic peptide aligns with Mammalian, Avian, Amphibian and Fish SERCA
- Unit size: 50 μl
Product code: A010-25AP
Affinity purified polyclonal antibody specific to Ser-38 phosphorylated forms of SERCA2.
- Suitable for use in Western Blot (1:1000 dilution)
- Lyophilised affinity purified IgG
- Species recognition: Epitope sequence exists in SERCA2 from all mammalian species
- Unit size: 50 μl